Friday, April 4, 2014

The Zen of painting.

Karel Appel once said: Ik worstel met de materie, soms wint de materie en soms win ik. I struggle with the material, sometimes it wins and sometimes I win. This is a statement that is true for most artists. I have done this for a long time as well. Trying to force the colors into a shape that I thought would fit better. I have found in my daily life that you have to pick your battles. I tried to force my mind into a shape that seemed to fit the world better but it turned out I need to reshape my body to fit my mind better. Most things actually know where they belong and human interference more often breaks a system rather then adding to it.

Recently I have decided to take a different approach to my paintings. The methods I use are still very similar but my view has changed quite a bit. I have given up the struggle. Instead I surrender to the material and allow it to guide me. I let the colors absorb me and let go of all dogmas and conventions. There is no should or must, there is only what is. For once I silence my mind and let intuition take over. It is liberating to say the least. Not only does it allow me to connect with my paintings on a more spiritual level, they are also more approachable for others. Too often people would ask me what my paintings mean and if I asked them to tell me what they thought they would always ask me of they for it right. There is no right or wrong in art. There is a connection or there isn't. Something causes an inner reaction for what ever reason there may be, or it doesn't. That's all there really is. And now people have the freedom to enjoy that and not worry about right or wrong. This blue painting is blue and what ever else you may see in it is yours to see and no one can take that away from you. So take that and enjoy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment